mc鲁迅 发表于 2011-3-11 00:34

12 Questions: Andrew Skurka (红军桑乃进来挑战下吧)

Andrew Skurka, age 29, is something of a god in the world of ultra-light backpacking and long-distance solo treks. His latest feat -- a 4,680-mile trip that entailed traveling by foot, ski and pack-raft for 176 days straight -- was called the "Alaska-Yukon Expedition," and it began and ended near the Arctic Circle in Alaska. For nearly six months, Skurka traveled alone in a humongous geographical circle in land so wild that the route crossed only eight major roads. The trip was supported by National Geographic and coverage of it appears in theMarch issueof the magazine, on newsstands now. Gear Junkie caught up with Skurka for a dozen quick questions on dirty socks, food drops, and the best and worst equipment used on his latest long trek into the wild. --Stephen Regenold

1. How often do you change socks?
In wet environments like Alaska, I change my socks once at the end of the day. I swap my hiking socks (which are usually damp or wet) for my dry sleeping socks.

http://img.bnqt.com/CMS/vt/network/gearjunkie/media/stephen-regenold/000e-47dc2c6b-4d67e9da-17eb-9f22e3e0_thumb.jpgPhoto: (C) National Geographic
Stream crossing in ski boots
2. Where were the food drops throughout the Alaska-Yukon Expedition?
I shipped most of my supplies to Post Offices along my route. But I also had two packages dropped off by air and another by dogsled (in Denali National Park) where otherwise the logistics were too challenging.

3. Let's talk footwear. How did you choose the La Sportiva Fireblade shoes?
It fits my foot really well -- secure heel cup, form-fitting mid-section, and just enough room in the toebox. It's also lightweight, low to the ground, and very durable for a trail-running shoe.

4. How many pair did you go through?
Only six pairs, though there were only 2,100 miles of walking. Otherwise I was wearing my leather three-pin Telemark boots (for 1,300 miles of skiing) or I was in my pack-raft in water.

5. What gear broke or needed to be replaced on the expedition?
There were no catastrophic gear failures. This didn't surprise me at all. But many people struggle to believe that a two-pound backpack or a 13-ounce, fully-enclosed tarp can be durable enough for a mega trip like this. It can be. Obviously, I needed to swap out gear due to changes in the seasons (e.g., my sleeping bag and insulated clothing) and to wearing stuff out (e.g., socks, base-layer shirts, even a camera).

http://img.bnqt.com/CMS/vt/network/gearjunkie/media/stephen-regenold/000e-47dc2c6b-4d67eb15-aacf-9ac97bf3_thumb.jpgPhoto: (c) www.andrewskurka.com
Route of Alaska-Yukon Expedition
6. How heavy was your pack without food and water and fuel (during the non-winter trek portion)?
During the summer my pack weighed 18.6 pounds without food and water, and I had 22.9 pounds of gear in total (this was including my clothing, footwear, trekking poles). This weight includes my 5-pound pack-raft, 2-pound paddle, 1-pound satellite phone, plus standard three-season gear (clothing, shelter, kitchen, etc.).

7. Your No. 1 favorite piece of gear on the trip, or most crucial was. . .
In Alaska, my inflatable Alpacka pack-raft is critical for three-season conditions. It allows me to get across rivers, fjords, and bays that are in my way, and I can float rivers that go in my desired direction of travel rather than bushwhacking for days along the river banks.

8. Your No. 1 favorite food on the trip overall (and least favorite food)?
Anything with chocolate in it. Least? Anything lacking chocolate.

9. Least favorite gear piece.
Waterproof/breathable fabrics are not very waterproof, at least in real-world conditions. And they're not very breathable, either. Unfortunately, the alternatives aren't any better: Waterproof/non-breathable fabrics cause excessive sweating; a wind-shell with more clothing is not as warm; and ponchos and umbrellas are not good in wind or when bushwhacking.

http://img.bnqt.com/CMS/vt/network/gearjunkie/media/stephen-regenold/000e-47dc2c6b-4d67ea0d-858f-de10ed75_thumb.jpgPhoto: (C) National Geographic
Andrew Skurka
10. What surprises you about gear in the outdoors world?
Lightweight gear has come a long way in the last 10 years. I was able to get every piece of gear I wanted from a manufacturer, save for my homemade stove. The largest retailers and manufacturers are doing their customers a disservice by not embracing this equipment revolution. It'd be equivalent to a bike company like Trek or Specialized ignoring carbon-fiber bike frames and suspension forks, or like Volkl and K2 insisting that long, skinny skis with no sidecut are still best for downhill skiing. Wake up!

11. Why did you use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner?
Most importantly, it's effective in keeping my gear dry. It is also cheap and ultralight, and it lasts longer than a sil-nylon pack liner.

12. Any other unconventional gear used on the trip?
I made my 3-season stove out of a Fancy Feast cat food can. And by wearing my clothing to bed I was able to use a much lighter sleeping bag -- I used a 0-degree bag in temperatures down to -24F, and a 30-degree sleeping quilt down to 15F.

--Stephen Regenold is founder and editor of www.gearjunkie.com. Photos by Michael Christopher Brown / (C) National Geographic. See more photos from Skurka's expedition at http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/alaska-trek/brown-photography.

彩云指南 发表于 2011-3-11 02:17

andrew skurka,今年29岁,在超轻背包客还有远距离单人徒步方面是一个神一样的人物。他最近的壮举是完成了距离4680英里一次探险。这次探险耗时176天,使用徒步、滑雪以及筏子等方法,起始和终点位置都位于阿拉斯加北极圈附近,这次活动被称作“阿拉斯加——御空探险”。在将近6个月的时间内,skurka独自一人完成了这个地理上的巨大环形穿越线路,线路非常的野,仅仅跟8条主要公路有交汇。这次活动得到了国家地理的赞助,并且作为封面发表在4月刊的杂志上。装备狂们抓住skurka,放出了一堆小问题:有关脏袜子的、食品投放地点、还有这次活动当中最好以及最差的装备——Stephen regenold

1、你多久换一次袜子?
在像是阿拉斯加这种潮湿环境下,在每一天结束的时候我都会把袜子换掉。我会把用于走路的潮湿袜子(通常都在滴水或者很潮湿)换成睡觉时候穿的干袜子

2、在阿拉斯加——御空徒步的时候,你的食品都投放到什么地方
我把大部分的补给都寄到沿途的邮局了,但是我也有2个包裹不得不使用空投还有狗拉雪橇(在denali国家公园)的方式,否则那两个地方的后期补给太过于挑战了。

3、我们说说鞋子吧,你为什么要选择La Sportiva的Fireblade这双鞋
他真的适合我的脚,脚踝很稳固,预成型的中部,鞋头给脚趾头也有足够的空间。并且这双鞋子很轻,重心也低,对于一双越野跑鞋来说,他也很耐用。

4、你这次一共穿了几双鞋
只穿了6双,其实完全徒步的距离只有2100英里。其他的1300英里我穿的是皮革三角插的滑雪靴或者在水里划筏子。

5、在路上有没有什么装备坏了或者需要修理
这次倒是没有发生灾难性的装备失效。这个对我来说倒是不奇怪。但是有很多人不太相信一个2磅重的背包还有一个全封闭的天幕能够经受住这么长距离活动的考验。当然,我在换季的时候会把一些装备剔除出去(例如睡袋还有保暖衣物),或者把包里的东西拿出来(比如袜子、内衣还有相机)。

6、不包括食品、水以及燃料,你的包有多重(在非冬季徒步情况下)
在夏天的时候,我的包重量在18.6磅,装备总重是22.9磅,其中包括穿着的衣物、鞋子还有手杖。18.6磅的重量包括了一个5磅重的筏子,2磅的桨,1磅的卫星电话外加3季装备(衣服、厨具、帐篷等等)

7、你这次最喜欢的装备,或者最重要的装备是
在阿拉斯加,充气的Alpaka(草泥马)筏子对于三季换季来说是最重要的,有了他,能让我直接跨域挡在我路上河流、海湾还有峡湾。如果河流方向跟我的目的方向一样,我还可以顺着水漂,这比在林子里钻或者在河岸走要好的多。

8、这次探险你最喜欢和最不喜欢的食物是
只要沾了巧克力的都是最喜欢的。最不喜欢的就是没有巧克力的。

9、最不喜欢的装备是
防水透气面料不是很防水,至少在真实环境当中是这样,并且他们也不是很透气。不幸的是,你没有更好的选择:防水不透气的面料会造成过度排汗;一件风衣配合更多的衣服也不能提供一样的保暖性;雨披或者雨伞在有风或者钻林子的时候不好使。

10、在户外界的装备方面,有没有什么让你感到惊讶的事情
轻量化装备至少已经有10年的发展历史了。除了我自己做的炉子以外,我能够从一个户外厂商那里获得其他所有的装备。那些最大的销售商还有厂家还没有抓握住这个装备革命,从而使得他们的客户不能从中受益。这好比像是trek或者specialized这种自行车厂商无视碳纤维车价还有避震前叉,或者像是volkl还有k2坚持认为细长的,不带侧切的雪板是最适合下降滑雪一样。厂家们,赶快醒醒!

11、你为什么要用垃圾压缩袋来做背包内胆
最重要一点,这东西用来保持装备干燥很有效。同时也很便宜并且超轻,它也比涂硅尼龙的背包内胆要耐用。

12、这次有没有用到什么非常规的装备
我用fancy feast的猫罐头做了一个三季用的炉子。睡觉的时候我穿着衣服也让我能带更轻的睡袋——在-24f的环境下只用了个温标0f的睡袋,15f的环境下用的30f的无底睡袋

ps单位没有换算成公制,18掌打完手工,睡觉睡觉

mc鲁迅 发表于 2011-3-11 04:11

我晕 红军桑自告奋勇要翻译一篇
我给他找了篇, 你就这么赤果果的抢走了..

红军 发表于 2011-3-11 09:46

在给我找2篇吧
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 12 Questions: Andrew Skurka (红军桑乃进来挑战下吧)