psnake 发表于 2023-3-22 14:01

First impression with Ultra TNT for a 3x3M tarp

本帖最后由 psnake 于 2023-4-23 13:16 编辑

My friend helped me to get some Ultra TNT fabric last year and out of it we were planning to make something interesting. I am so lazy (oractually so busy) that the first piece of work of a 3*3M / 9.8’*9.8’ square tarp was not out until last month.

According to Challenge Sailcloth, TNT stands for Tent and Tarp. It’s interesting name. When I told my friends the fabric name, they typically responded: “Is it the explosive?”
The total weight of the finished 3*3M tarp is 404g including basic guy lines and line locs. I think the fabric weights over 1.0 oz. One of the biggest advantage of TNT, unlike DCF, is the 1.52M fabric width that makes a 3*3M tarp possible. This is a favorite size as so many camping people came to ask me for this size in previous years.

My impressions after making the first tarp:
[*]Even stiffer than DCF – paper-like properties in terms of storage: you must fold and roll carefully; otherwise the package size is unacceptable.
[*]The making process is FUN to me. This fabric is even more deviated from “normal” woven fabrics. I think basically it’s grid reinforced PET films. Under normal conditions, no stretch & no stretch differentiation at all in ALL directions. But similar to DCF, if there is a deformation, it is permanent.

The variant should be kind of Challenge’s initial try. Being transparent is more of a disadvantage for shelters requiring privacy, though it allows you to enjoy the sunshine like vegetables in a glass room in winter. And the weight is also not ideal for UL/XUL. In the following picture, forgive me to use the DCF patch to reinforce TNT as this is not very polite.
In general, I see that since Ultra 100D/200D is becoming a success and Challenge is trying to offer more possibilities. As for MYOG and small cottages, I think we are glad to see more options in the market. I’ve just got the info that the next batch of TNT is no longer transparent and the fabric weight is also reduced to be around 1.0 oz or under. I’m expecting more new things to come.

zorow 发表于 2023-5-22 11:30

我在等我的地布出炉……

虎克船长 发表于 2023-5-22 15:02

zorow 发表于 2023-5-22 11:30
我在等我的地布出炉……

啥材质的?

zorow 发表于 2023-5-22 16:22

虎克船长 发表于 2023-5-22 15:02
啥材质的?

challenge家的TNT

虎克船长 发表于 2024-3-25 09:55

zorow 发表于 2023-5-22 16:22